Sabrina Chan completed a Bachelor’s in Management Engineering at the Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines. This business management program, focused on decision sciences, allowed her to start her career as a buyer/merchandiser for a specialty beauty retailer. Sabrina was in charge of making forecasts and placing orders for cosmetic and skin care brands for premium market brands, but she wanted to transition into the luxury industry, joining the MSc in Luxury Management and Marketing program in 2019.
1. Why did you decide to join the MSc in Luxury Management and Marketing?
I was always interested in the luxury industry, and decided that I wanted to pursue a career in this field. I chose the MSc in Luxury Management & Marketing at emlyon business school because it provided an opportunity to study in 3 key cities for the industry – Paris, London and Shanghai. This makes for a truly global education and holistic understanding of the industry.
2. Do you feel that you already need a background in luxury to succeed in the Master?
I don’t think there is a need for a background in luxury to succeed in the program. What’s more important is to have a passion for luxury, as well as the ability to translate and apply your previous experiences to it.
3. What are in your opinion the strong points of the program?
Learning from different institutions is definitely a strong point of the program. I just completed my term with the London College of Fashion, which was an enriching experience that dived deep into fashion. The classes were very different from what we had in Paris, and I’m excited to see what the Shanghai term has in store for us.
4. What do you wish to do after you graduate? How is the school supporting you (Career Service Center etc)?
I would love to take on a buying/merchandising, marketing or strategy role in luxury beauty. My career coach at emlyon business school helped me update my CV and tailor it to better match the kind of work I’m interested in.
5. Do you have any advice for candidates applying to the [program]https://masters.em-lyon.com/en/MSc-in-Luxury-Management-Marketing)?
Don’t be afraid to apply! If you have any questions, feel free to message me through the emlyon connect page.