Residency permit


Citizens of European Union countries only require an identity card to enter France, but citizens from other countries require a passport issued in their country of origin. The passport must not expire before the end of the planned stay.


For foreign students wishing to stay in France, the first step is to obtain a visa from the French Consulate or Embassy in their country of origin. If you want to travel in Europe, please take care to mention it in order to obtain the right visa. There are two types of visas:

A. Short-stay visa (visa de court séjour) is issued for stays up to 3 months


B. Long-stay visas (visas de long séjour) are issued for stays over 3 months:

  • Long-stay visa D “Dispense Temporaire de Titre de séjour”(Temporary Exemption of Residence Permit) It allows you to train in an institution of public or private higher education for maximum 6 months. It is not renewable and does not entitle the residence.
  • The student long-stay visa, called also Visa D-VLS-TS is issued as a preliminary step toward issue of a one-year renewable student's residence permit which will be valid from the date of your first application. If you have this kind of visa (visa - residence permit), pay attention to keep with you the official consular form. This document is mandatory to confirm your resident permit as soon as you arrive in France and at emlyon business school.
  • The visa D VLS-TS of one-year has to be validated by the OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration) medical visit, within 3 months of the arrival in France. It is a compulsory procedure.

Please note that you will have to provide a valid passport + valid student visa + official consular form during administrative registration at emlyon business school


Please note 3 very important pieces of advice: A tourist visa cannot be converted into a student visa in France or in any other country of the European Union. A “1 Transit Schengen” visa does not allow you to travel through Europe. A “D visa + 1 Transit Schengen” will permit you to transit only once through a European Union country when coming or leaving France.