Insurance & Expenses


You will have to pay the following fees when arriving at emlyon business school.

French Student Social Security (health insurance)

The “sécurité sociale” is the French health care system, also called CPAM (“Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie”) operated through the offical website The healthcare system reimburses covered individuals for a portion of their medical expenses.

For a stay of more than 90 days on the French territory it is mandatory to register to the CPAM through a dedicated website. All international students are entitled to this coverage, and registration is completely free.
Attention! Registration and coverage takes time (at least several weeks). We recommend that you get an International insurance for the first 90days at least.

Particular cases for students from:
Québec: you have to provide the form SE 401 Q106
Andorra: you have to provide the attestation SE 130-04
Monaco: you have to provide the agreement of coverage delivered by Monaco

If you have an illness or such before coming to France and you need medical follow-up, we strongly recommend that you come with an International Insurance covering you from the 1st day of your arrival.

If you are from the European Union, the EEE or Switzerland, you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before your arrival in France. You must use this card when going to the doctor, pharmacy, hospital…
More info:

If your stay is less than 90 days, then you must have international insurance coverage for your time in France. This insurance is mandatory and also requested to get a Visa.

You don’t have an international insurance ?
HEYME is emlyon business school partner and you can get a 10% discount with our partner code EMLYON-10
They offer a Travel Health Insurance called “Word pass Schengen”:

  • Reimbursement of your health expenses based on their actual costs, and from the 1st €
  • No upfront payment in case of hospitalization
  • Coverage of medical and hospitalization expenses in case of COVID-19 contraction
  • Cash advance in the event of loss or theft of your personal belongings
  • Assistance and repatriation to your home country
  • Legal and psychological assistance, for all cases related to your stay
  • Civil liability insurance

Complementary health insurance

Complementary insurance plan called “mutuelle” is an additional health insurance that you can subscribe to in order to receive a better reimbursement of your medical expenses. This is not free and will require annual or monthly payment.
You are free to choose if you want to subscribe to a “mutuelle” or not and free to choose which company suits you best.
HEYME is emlyon’s partner and we have a 10% discount code for you: EMLYON-10

Third-party liability

It concerns insurance in case you cause damage to a third-party. If you are not insured against this risk in your own country, you could be insured upon arrival at emlyon business school through the Mutuelle St Christophe Insurance Company (10 € in 2021/2022).

Student card

In order to obtain your student card, you must have validated your registration file. That means, your health insurance coverage must be paid and that all the documents required by the Registrar Office must be provided. This card cannot be delivered if one of these elements is missing.

Additional expenses

A minimum amount of nearly €1000 - €1200 per month is necessary to live in Lyon (rent, rental expenses, transport, food,…).